SDL Consultancy is a public policy and management consultancy, and internet marketing business, based in Wellington, New Zealand, specialising in Pacific Island development with expertise in the following areas:
- strategic planning & managing for outcomes
- setting up governance & accountability arrangements
- policy analysis, implementation and monitoring frameworks
- strategy design, programme targeting & assessing effectiveness
- working with Ministers, senior leadership and senior officials
- crown entity relationship management
- risk management for government, working with competing forces with different agendas
- community educator on machinery of government & public policy process
- advocacy & lobbying at central & local government levels
- leading & developing effective teams for shared results
The principal of SDL Consultancy is Sai Lealea who has over 10 years experience as a senior manager in the New Zealand public service and as a public policy consultant with extensive background and qualification in research, policy, monitoring and managing projects, planning, government and community relations.
Prior to joining the public service, Sai worked as a policy consultant and Pacific advisor with a number of government departmentsin New Zealand. He also worked for Victoria University as a Policy Researcher on the performance and academic achievement of Pacific students.
For 6 years, Sai was a ministerial appointee to the Arts Council of New Zealand and was Chair of the Pacific Arts Committee of that Council for 4 years. Sai is well versed in the culture of Pacific peoples and has delivered Pacific culture and language lessons to community groups and government officials.
Sai has a very good knowledge of the machinery of government, having delivered policy analysis training, written cabinet papers and briefings for Ministers and MPs, appeared at Parliamentary Select Committees and been a member of a Cabinet Officials Committee in connection with Pacific issues. He was also responsible for the development of budget bid proposals and engagement with Ministers and central agencies over the proposals.
Sai Lealea is Fijian and holds graduate and post graduate qualifications in Economics, Economic History, Economic Geography and Public Policy from Victoria University. Sai is fluent in Fijian, has very good knowledge and understanding of Pacific cultures, as well as very good contacts and networks into the Pacific community and across government agencies.
T: +64 27 249 0472